Mastering the media
In this learning path learners:
- Consider which media they and their fellow learners use and how this might influence them.
- Explore the concept of stereotypes and consider the relationship between stereotypes and prejudices.
- Explore the concept of stereotypes in relation to advertising.
- Use active reading and listening skills to challenge their preconceptions about groups of people represented in adverts.
- Learn which techniques are used in propaganda.
This learning path consists of three tracks (lessons) each with a number of steps.
Track 1: Learners analyse their own media usage and compare their media consumption with other learners.
Track 2: Learners explore how stereotypes are used in the media and how they affect how we see the world and the people around us.
Track 3: Learners consider historical and contemporary examples to explore the mechanisms used in propaganda and consider how they themselves might be influenced.
Learners require approximately 100 minutes for tracks 1 and 2, and about 50 minutes for track 3.back to top